I will try to sum up the rest of Summer in a few sentences, so here goes nothing:
My father was a mechanic and used the basement of his house as a garage. I spent most of August and September (so far), cleaning out the old tools and trying to sell the good stuff.
In September, my Mother moved into a care facility that looks after people with dementia. It is only 3 years old and looks like a mansion. At least that is what I told Mom where she would be moving. I just told her that she would have roommates, instead of being alone. So far she has adapted quite well. She can never remember what she ate for meals, but told me that the food is delicious. One of Mom's problems were her picky eating at home, so this is an improvement and she is gaining some weight.
I spent most of September clearing out Mom's things and donating what was still useable. I have some of her treasured photos in new frames proudly displayed in her room, and others placed in photo albums for her to look at. She has a cork board on the wall, in which I can place current events and greeting cards, as well as a bookcase to display knick-knacks. She also has a new wardrobe, seeing that she never bought clothes for years and her things were sadly outdated.
It will be one year that my father passed away tomorrow (October 4th), and his cremated remains will be interred in the local cemetery. Some of his ashes were scattered at the lake that we always take our summer vacation at, but the rest will be buried. Mom will join him in the double burial plot when she dies, and I am in the process of deciding on the engravement for their marker (headstone).
Our 30th wedding anniversary is this month, but nothing special has been planned, except that I got tickets to see Paul McCartney in November for hubby and I. They sold out in less than an hour, but it took me only 8 minutes to get the ones I wanted.
Mom and Dad's house must be vacant at the end of November, so I am still cleaning out things. Sadly, my own house is looking kind of untidy at present. To say that I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off, would probably be the truth right about now, LOL.
I will leave you with some photos of Mom's new home. I am still exploring the new interface of blogger here, and if anyone knows how to remove my name from some old bloggers that have moved on and no longer post, then I would appreciate the help.
Always, Rose~*
Moms' new home:
Entrance to Mom's room
Mom has a photo of her own parents on either side of the white clock in this picture. The others on her dresser are of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Of course there is a basket to hold her bobby pins . . .



1 comments:
You've had an incredibly busy summer and I'm sure the whirlwind isn't over yet (it never seems to end, does it?).
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary! It's exciting that you were able to get tickets for the November McCartney concert.
The photos of your Mom's new home are nice. It looks like a pleasant place for her to spend her final years.
I owe you a letter, but all I have to offer are complaints. Consider yourself fortunate that you haven't heard from me!
Post a Comment