Spring is in the mist

Tuesday, March 22, 2011
March is still roaring like a lion over here on Vancouver's wet coast. We have barely seen any sun and the back yard is extremely soggy. The neighbours up the street had a restoration company visit today with their buckets and pumps. I suppose they had a slight flood in their basement.

I took my 89 year old Mother to the emergency ward last Thursday, as she had a nasty looking sore near her back that wasn't clearing up with oral antibiotics. The doctors had to drain the infection and give her IV antibiotics, and I have been bringing her twice a day (at 8am and 8pm) since Friday back and forth to the hospital. Needless to say - I am bushed.

Yesterday I spied some large birds on top of the Douglas Fir trees across our street, and noticed that they were blue herons. They usually stay in the bog near the bottom of our street in the wetlands, but occasionally fly overhead when the sun sets. They are very large birds and from a distance they look like vultures.

I took a couple of photos, but my camera zoom isn't the greatest, and it was still fairly dark and dreary in the morning when I spotted them. Google has far better photos than me, so I will leave a link if you want to see what they look like in colour. As usual, you may click on my photos for a larger view.



Herons on top of trees 

 
I see at least four



1 comments:

DB said...

Wow, Rose, they are big birds. They have those up in New England also. I guess they are cold climate birds. I only have little ones around here. I put out a bird feeder. They gobble up the seeds and make a big commotion of it in the morning and evening but they aren't quite used to me yet.

DB